I have just added my latest Made on Monday pieces to my gallery. I decided to use a simple shape and do some variations with applique and stitch. These are the first 2 pieces, I have another 2 started and there may be more.
I used the fabric that we painted a few weeks ago, and just experimented with backgrounds, although I didn’t get as much contrast as I would have liked. Because the day was so hot I think I only painted about 4 pieces of fabric before I ran out of energy so I was limited in the colour choices.
As always, I forget to take process photos so I don’t have a lot but here are the basic steps I took:
Cut out applique shapes and pinned them to the background layer. The background was already layered over some wadding and backing, like a quilt sandwich.
Stitched the outline of the shapes. I didn’t use glue or vliesofix, because both the background and the applique pieces were cotton, and the whole piece was small, they didn’t move very much.
Then I filled in the shapes with freemotion stitching.
I will definitely try this idea again, I think using one shape and working on variations takes out some of the “What will I do” procrastinating and allows me to think of ways to create differences using stitch. I settled on an apple shape, mainly because I often use floral designs and I didn’t want to do a heart (although I suppose an apple could look a bit like a heart!)
I will post the next pieces over the next few weeks.
Wishing everyone a lovely Christmas and happy new year. I will be back with more in January!
Until next time