Combining Challenges

We are currently up to week 13 of the Made on Monday Challenge and Lyn has found another one we might participate in.  Never letting time constraints get in the way of being creative.

The “Cloth Paper Scissors Magazine” Challenge ‘Word of the Year’ is due in August and is for an 8 inch piece that represents a word that will ignite action, provide inspiration propel your art making for the coming year.

I decided to combine the two by creating a few 5 inch pieces using different words for the MoM Challenge and then picking a favourite word, process and method to create the 8 inch version.

The first word I chose is “Invent” and decided to try a negative space piece.

20170705_141921

Using plain fabric to highlight the word, I wrote the word first and then started filling it in (in the negative).  The next challenge was to fill in the blank space around the word and choose a finished edge.

20170712_095436

This is now the 13th MoM piece ready for submission.

13_Words_Invent

The second word is ‘Unique’, using the same process, except keeping the outline minimal, using a pieced background and using repetition to highlight the word.

20170719_153422

It is still a work in progress but I am liking how it is progressing, lots of work still to do.  I have picked the other colours that I’m thinking of using and will post further progress shots soon.  The next option is yet to be decided.

Let me know what you think?  I would love any feedback or suggestions…….

Colourful Beach Boxes

The brightly coloured beach boxes on denim that I did for the Photo to Fibre exhibition in 2016 were a favourite of mine.  So I thought I would have another go at doing them for the Made on Monday Challenge Lyn and I are doing this year.

The 5 inch pieces are a bit more limiting than the beach bags and fabric buckets I did for the exhibition so I created new templates in a smaller scale.

20170604_100500

Cutting up small pieces of coloured fabric and fusing it onto denim is very therapeutic – but by the end of the fourth piece, I started to wonder why I felt I had to make four of them?

20170604_104232

The initial reason was to experiment with quilting techniques, but as you can see, in my haste to finish them and not really wanting to compromise with the design too much, they ended up looking very similar.

20170607_133209

However, piece number 5 is my favourite.

20170607_133316

 

Now to the next challenge piece…..

Made on Monday – joining the challenge

A few months ago I saw a post on Facebook by Kate Bridger showing some 5 inch square pieces that she and others had done as part of a “Made on Monday” Challenge.  What a great idea to keep the creative juices flowing – the pieces were small enough to make the challenge achievable.  Lyn and I agreed and we decided we would participate.

I have included the link below for anyone who may be interested

http://katebridger.wix.com/madeonmonday

Lyn created a spreadsheet – we both love a good list and the challenge began with the first piece finished on the 26th of April.

Whilst the challenge is “Made on Monday”, ours are actually made on Wednesday as Lyn and I follow our creative pursuits on most Wednesdays

We work shopped some ideas and noted down themes and techniques in order to have as many options as possible to kick start the pieces.

The first theme we both agreed to do was flowers

My first piece has a spray painted background which I did last year and now have an excuse to use and some minimal applique.

20170425_214808

I have used freestyle machine stitching to create the flower petals and stems using rayon threads

20170607_135116

The next 3 pieces will use the rest of the spray painted fabric, but more about them next time…… Cora

Sewing tool mishap

Well laid plans will often get delayed.   Lyns last post showed our great progress on Wednesday doing our current challenge. I am a bit behind so have spent some of the morning trying to catch up, in between doing loads of laundry.

I got so close to finishing when disaster struck. Not only did I break the needle, I also managed to break the foot.

20170520_115337

So much for plastic parts, lucky I have a spare free motion foot, even though it is a little different and provides less visibility, it will suffice until I can go buy another.

Time for a cuppa, until next time

Cora

Features created from sewing mistakes

I just finished my current sewing project.  First time using this pattern Vogue 8817 Katherine Tilton.  The chosen fabric has a beautiful drape but really tricky to sew and causing me some grief with skipped stitches until I finally found the right combination of finer needle and thread.

20170329_194824

I didn’t read the pattern properly and missed cutting out the back yolk and ran out of fabric.  Oops.  Decided to use strips instead, which resulted in a draped, exposed back feature.

20170423_092727

Then, despite trying very hard to finish the neckline without stretching…..it stretched!

Rather than giving up, only because I love the fabric colour and drape, I again decided to make it a feature rather than a fault and added a small panel as it was a little too revealing for my taste and beading to disguise the stretched binding.

20170423_092859

I am very pleased with the final result and look forward to wearing it.

20170423_092830

Posted by Cora.