Having had little time over the past few weeks to get into the studio, I was happy to spend some time there yesterday, experimenting with inktense pencils. After a comment received on my Instagram and here, I tried using aloe vera gel as the medium. It was an interesting experiment, because I used the aloe vera growing in my garden which was all I had. It was quite sticky getting it out of the leaves, but I guess it was very therapeutic for my fingers! I only tried a little sample, and will compare that with the textile medium/water solution by washing them. I am interested to see how/if the intensity of the ink fades and will get back to you about the results in a future post.
Having dreamed about scarves with multi colours, I found some very light weight fabric to try some samples on – I think it’s called muslin here in Australia. It’s very loosely woven cotton. Firstly I sewed a grid on the fabric using straight stitch and zigzag stitch using a soluble stabiliser because the fabric is so unstable.
Then I used the inktense pencils to colour in the boxes, this time only using the textile medium/water solution. I quickly decided that doing a large scarf this way would not be my thing!
On the second sample I simply coloured in small dots in the grid, which is a much quicker process. I really like both effects, but if I was to do anything like this on a larger scale I would definitely use the inktense blocks rather than the pencils.
So I now have 2 new samples for my Made on Monday pieces. I’m sure this will lead to other pieces because I really love the effects.
Until next time,