More experimenting

Because I have joined the Made on Monday challenge, I am working on a new textile piece every week.  Sometimes the ideas take a while to arrive in my head and other times I can fairly quickly execute something that I have been thinking about for a while.

Last week was one of those weeks where I had no idea of what to do, but was forcing myself to not overthink it. In looking around my sewing room aka “the studio” I saw some pencils and got an idea.

In the past I have experimented with stencils and painting fabric, but with the cold winter we are having here in Melbourne, I wanted something I could do inside.  So without too much thought, I started drawing with watercolour pencils on the fabric.  After I spoke with my friend Cora about how to make the colours darker, she advised me to use some fabric medium.  So on her advice I mixed a small amount with water and dipped the nib of the pencils in to this solution before drawing on the fabric.  I also tried painting the solution onto the fabric, but the lines were not as defined and there was more smudging than I was wanting.

1. Starting to draw
Drawing on the wet fabric

 

2-completed-drawing-pressed.jpg
Pressed and dry

So with a rather abstract “drawing” of flowers on fabric, I had to leave it for a week until my next day off.  I did know what I was going to do next, so this morning I stitched using free motion machine embroidery, making loose flower and leaf shapes, over the entire piece.  Here are some pictures of the stitching in progress.

I only used black thread but might do another experiment with future pieces using different coloured threads.

6-large-piece.jpg
Stitching complete

I made it larger than my required 5 inch piece (the size for the Made on Monday challenge), so I have managed to get more pieces out of it.  I think it’s now called a series!

Then I cut out some 5 inch pieces and roughly stitched around the edges with zig zag stitch of different sizes.  I wasn’t going for neat! (luckily!)

Here are the first 2 pieces, numbers 17 and 18 for my Made on Monday series.  I will probably finish another 2 and mount them all together.  When I do this, I will post an update.

This piece reminds me a little of a piece I had in an exhibition last year.  I stencilled and painted the fabric first (it was warmer weather) used some thin fabric as a collage and then stitched over it using free motion embroidery.

7-graffitti-piece.jpg

A couple of close ups….

Until next time

Lyn

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s